The 2018 budget of Sofia Municipality is BGN 1 433 billion, exceeding last year’s budget by almost BGN 105 million. The increase is possible due to economic growth of the capital (40% of the country’s GDP) and the improved taxes and fees revenue collection in recent years. In 2018 Sofia municipality expects revenues to reach BGN 654 million.
Sofia municipality’s main projects and priorities in the budget for 2018 are:
- the third metro line is the largest project in terms of construction – about BGN 300 million, BGN 16 million thereof being from the municipal budget. The remaining funds will be provided under European programs
- repair works of “Graf Ignatiev” str., including reconstruction of the tram route in accordance with new technology and “Slaveikov” square in the second half of the year. The repair works will total BGN 13 million.
- repair works of other main streets and boulevards in the city (including Skobelev blvd., Todor Kableshkov blvd., the first stage of the construction of the eastern tangent from Botevgradsko shose blvd., etc.). The repairs will amount to over BGN 100 million.
- construction of new, as well as major repairs and energy efficiency of existing kindergartens and schools in the amount of over BGN 32 million.
- renovation of Sofia’s West Park, amounting to BGN 8.5 million and another BGN 11 million for the green system of the city
- Sports facilities and initiatives on the occasion of the event Sofia – European Capital of Sport 2018, in the amount of BGN 1 million.
The priority projects of Sofia municipality also include competitions for adaptation in urban environment and renovation of Sveta Nedelya square, the area around the National Palace of Culture, where the 1300 years of Bulgaria monument was situated, and Zone 3 of the central city district. Funds for the renovation of other parts of Sofia Zoo are also planned.
The amount of the investment program is nearly BGN 384 million, mainly from projects prepared and approved by the municipality for European funding.